The checklist of species came from Kevin Lyman's Milwaukee Public Museum website. Additional information was taken from the Atlas of Wisconsin Bryophytes by Frank Bowers and Sally Freckmann, 1979.
The county distribution maps reflect the collection information as reported in the Atlas of Wisconsin Bryophytes by Frank Bowers and Sally Freckmann, 1979. As new information is obtained, these maps will be updated. The bryophyte herbarium at Steven's Point is currently being databased under the direction of Dr. Virginia Freire and this data will be added to the maps. It is hoped that more detailed distribution with links to the specimen records will be made available via this website in the future.
Request for Photographs:
We will graciously accept either slides, prints or digital images of plants found in the Wisconsin's Vascular Plants to be considered for inclusion on the web site. These are the criteria and procedures we follow regarding photographs.
1. The picture needs to be in color and reasonably sharp.
2. The species of the plant needs to be verifiable either from the photograph or if necessary, accompanied by a specimen.
3. The subject needs to include one of the following:
a. Descriptive photograph of plant
b. Close up of flower
c. Close up of a distinguishing feature of plant, I.E. leaf arrangement, bark of tree, hairs on stem, etc.
e. Seed, seed head, or plant in seed
f. Plant in winter
g. any other view that would aid in identification of species
4. Include the photographer's name, address, and e-mail address with preference for identification in the Photographers.html
5. We are not held responsible for the slide or print submitted to us but we will take all normal precautions to return them to photographer in a timely manner.
6. We cannot guarantee that any photograph will be included on the web site.
Please mail to: Herbarium, Department of Biology: 301 CNR Building, University of Wisconsin - Stevens Point, Stevens Point WI 54481or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.